Recent projects include:
- Development of a stakeholder mapping framework and analysis of local content dynamics within the Independent Power Procurement sector.
- Developing an export strategy for the plastics industry in South Africa for key African markets. A membership survey and export dynamics analysis.
- A strategic review of South Africa’s trade and economic environment . An assessment of South Africa’s manufacturing industry to determine economic performance and possible sensitivity to local content requirements.
- A review Namibia’s domestic economic policy framework and their interactions with trade policy, proffering recommendations to the Namibian government.
- Assessment of the Continental Free Trade Agreement rules of origin negotiations between SADC, COMESA and EAC.
- High-level strategic analysis of African International Relations Strategy for Gauteng Province.Analysis involved situating Gauteng within the African context, assessing South Africa’s inter-governmental system and identify opportunities and constraints to advance the objectives.
- An analysis of the implications of the Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations for Sub-Saharan Africa LDC countries. The analysis cited recommendations for the International Institute of Sustainable Development and Indian government.
- Review of registration and compliance costs and procedures, implementation of foreign investment advisory services, labour laws , and import and export procedures for Business Botswana.
- A Business Climate survey on European based companies operating in South Africa. Determining their satisfaction in operating with the local business environment. Reporting a statistical analysis of the survey.
- A substantive ‘think piece’ for the World Bank, as part of their ‘Factory Southern Africa’ project, exploring how Southern Africa could leverage the relocation of Multinational Companies out of China.
- Two analytical reports on respectively, trade, investment and geopolitical impact of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership negotiations for Germany.
Two papers for the ACP MTS Programme, on global value chains and the implications of mega-regional trade negotiations respectively, for input into the post – Bali strategic reflection on the WTO meeting of ACP Ambassadors in Geneva.
Coordination of regional inputs, and project lead for the trade component, in respect of a study on the potential for a Southern African Customs Union industrial policy, for GBRW Consulting (end client being the SACU Secretariat). This project is ongoing.
A paper ‘Changing China, Changing Africa: Future Contours of an Emerging Relationship’ for the special issue of the Asian Economic Policy Review special theme entitled ‘China’s Interaction Impact on the Rest of the World; the client and funder was the Japan Centre for Economic Research.
Delivery of a training module for Department of Trade and Industry officials being transferred abroad, for GDP Global.
Delivery of an MBA course for Wits Business School, entitled ‘Business, Government, and Society’, with a particular focus on South Africa in the global political economy.
Analysis of South Africa’s strategy for the BRICS Durban summit held in March 2013, and of the summit’s outcomes, for a foreign client.
Analysis of the competitiveness debate pertaining to international climate change negotiations, in relation to South Africa’s evolving carbon tax regime, for a chemicals company.
Analysis of South Africa’s trade with sub-Saharan Africa and identification of products amenable to air transportation, for Dube Trade Port.
Assessment of the potential for a trade deal between South Africa and Angola as part of a broader strategic partnership centered on infrastructure, for the regional Spatial Development Initiative programme at the Development Bank of Southern Africa.
A paper on emerging trends in trade protectionism and associated implications for Southern African countries, for the World Bank.
Analysis of South Africa’s emerging intellectual property rights policy framework, for the South African Federation Against Copyright Theft.